Eco friendly flowers - scented narcissi v roses
OK I admit, I am hardly likely to approach this topic from a point of unbiased objectivity, but I will try to at least be a little bit fair and in that spirit I will allow the rose to go first.
Good things about Valentine roses
- totally beautiful. You can’t really dispute their aesthetic appeal. Beautifully proportioned, often in rich luxurious shades with a myriad of petals in each head.
- the traditional flower of love and that is what the day is all about.
- if you choose very carefully or hit very lucky, beautifully scented. But the vast majority are not, as in the breeding process visual appeal has won out over nose appeal.
- often grown in countries where the horticultural production of roses provides a valuable export crop, bringing much needed income, investment and infrastructure to vulnerable communities.
- often grown in places with plenty of natural sunshine eliminating the need for artificial light and heat that is often used to produce valentine flowers in more northerly countries.
- very expensive so your loved one will be able to appreciate the amount you have splashed out to shower them with roses on February 14th.
The AMAZING things about scented narcissi
- heavily perfumed. Unlike a lot of commercial cut flowers narcissi have been bred for their scent as a key characteristic.
- grown outdoors with no additional heat or light. On the Isles of Scilly scented narcissi flower naturally from October to Easter.
- an important part of the Isles of Scilly’s landscape and economy. The Isles of Scilly are an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 28 miles off the coast of Cornwall. The island’s flower farms provide winter employment and help maintain parts of the natural environment loved by the many summer visitors.
- delicately beautiful, with each stem having at least three cute, mini daffodil type heads.
- sent direct from where they are grown. This means you are sending fresh flowers that have not had to spend time in a complex supply chain.
- excellent value for money. By ordering your scented narcissi direct from our farm you are ‘cutting out the middle man’ in the supply chain. This keeps cost down and lets us deliver a very cost-effective Valentine’s gift for you.
- not a typical Valentine gift. You will therefore win your loved one’s heart by having proved you are capable of imaginative and thoughtful gift procurement.
I admitted at the start I might just be a tiny weeny bit biased but I think you have to agree, if you want to make an environmentally responsible flower choice at Valentine's Day it has to be Isles of Scilly scented narcissi.
For more information on the sustainable credentials of our Scilly grown flowers please click here.